Business -> Corporate Income Tax Rates -> 2017 Corporate Income Tax Rates
2017 Corporate Income Tax Rates
The following table shows the general and small business corporate income tax rates federally and for each province and territory for 2017. The small business rates are the applicable rates after deducting the small business deduction (SBD), which is available to Canadian-controlled private corporations (CCPCs). The small business rate is available on active business income up to the amount of the Business Limit. The federal business limit of $500,000 begins to be reduced when a CCPC's taxable capital reaches $10 million, and is eliminated when taxable capital reaches $15 million.
The federal general rate is net of the 10% federal tax abatement and 13% (2012 and later years) general rate reduction. The general rate reduction is disallowed for a personal services business (PSB), for taxation years beginning after October 31, 2011, resulting in a federal corporate tax rate of 28% for PSBs, until the end of 2015. The Federal 2016 Budget increased the corporate tax rate for PSBs from 28% to 33% effective January 1, 2016.
The general corporate tax rate applies to active business income in excess of the business limit.
(1) NL, NT, NU and PE use the federal small business limit.
(2) New Brunswick's 2017 budget lowered the Small Business Income Tax Rate from 3.5% to 3% effective April 1, 2017.
(3) The Federal 2015 Budget announced that the Small Business Tax Rate and the non-eligible dividend tax credit would be revised starting in 2016. However, the Federal 2016 Budget changed this, to leave the small business tax rate, non-eligible dividend gross-up and non-eligible dividend tax credit rate at 2016 levels.
(4) Alberta's 2016 Budget indicates that the small business corporate tax rate is reduced from 3% to 2% effective January 1, 2017.
(5) Manitoba business limit is increased to $500,000 from $450,000 on January 1, 2017, as per their December 1, 2015 news release.
(6) The BC 2017 Budget lowered the small business corporate tax rate from 2.5% to 2.0% effective April 1, 2017.
Sources for the above information
Revised: March 14, 2017
Copyright © 2002 - 2017 Boat Harbour Investments Ltd. All Rights Reserved See Reproduction of information from TaxTips.ca